Notarizing the documents

All necessary documents must be legalized. Transcript, letters, diploma, etc. they all must be signed by school authority.


All documents must be notarized by a notary in the county where the school is located. Sometimes there’s a notary at the same school. Otherwise, this should be done by an external notary.


In some states the notary's signature must be recognized by the county clerk. In some cases, this step is not necessary because the Secretary of State office directly recognizes the notary's authority. To determine whether this is needed, it’s best to directly call in advance the Secretary of State of the corresponding state and ask the question if this is needed to get the Apostille of the Hague of academic documents.

© EF Education First 2011-2020. EF High School Exchange Year is operated by EF Educational Foundation for Foreign Study, a non-profit corporation designated by the U.S. Department of State to operate a J-1 student exchange program. Note: Featured photo/videos do not include prospective students, and are representative of program participants.